Subject: RE: UKNM: hsbc online banking
From: Bobby Hall
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 22:07:56 +0100

Spot On.

____________________________
Bobby Hall
eCommerce Manager

City Index
www.cityindex.co.uk
Tel: 020 7550 8500
Fax: 020 7283 9619
___________________________

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Tester [SMTP:Ian [dot] Testeratemapdigital [dot] com]
Sent: 11 October 2000 11:49
To: uknmatchinwag [dot] com
Subject: UKNM: hsbc online banking

<rant>

I discovered yesterday (by accident, natch), that I can finally bank online
with my bank, HSBC, without having to resort to buying more crap TV. Not
that they told me, i happened to see a banner ad on their site when I was
trying to find the stupid new central switchboard number (they've changed my
branch's number and won't tell me what it is any more, so now I have to
spend 10 minutes on the phone rather than 2. . . ) . . .

Now, quite apart from the fact that they didn't even tell me it was live
(and it's an OK service . . . not world shattering, but anything is better
than the trek to islington - it's grim up north london), they just do not
seem to learn from the other guys. . . .

1. not allowed to choose a username, instead i am given a handy mixture of
12 random letters and digits - hello, hello? anybody remember the egg
launch??? To make sure that it's really secure, they advise me to print it
off, and tell me they will send me a card with it printed on (rather than
allowing me to choose something i might remember, but might make hard for
other people to guess, as it's like, my money)
2. i have to log on with the pin i use for phone banking, rather than
something hard to guess i could choose myself. when using phone banking,
they advise you never to give out the whole pin, even to HSBC employees,
instead they ask you for specific digits inside it. . .online. . . . all
the pin, all the time (i have to login twice???) - another high security
measure. . .
3. If I connect over a LAN (i.e at work) i have infringed terms and
conditions, ditto if i leave my computer when logged on. If i don't touch
the keyboard for a few minutes (like when I make a cup of tea), it bumps me
off. . .

Oh well, I should be grateful for small mercies. . . but after waiting so
long, it seems a tad silly. Anyone know who was involved with their
front-end? Go on, name and shame. . . .

</rant>

Ian Tester, Business Accelerator, EMAP Digital
http://www.emap.com
Exmouth House, Pine Street, London EC1V 0JL, UK
T 020 7868 7574 F 020 7868 7514 M 07880 557692 E ian [dot] testeratemapdigital [dot] com
AIM iantester