Subject: UKNM: Marketing Sherpa/Your Auto Choice
From: jason
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:24:40 +0100

I've just read an article in Marketing Sherpa's regarding Your Auto
Choice's prize draw

There are a few points that have slightly riled me. "Competition
Hunters" do have money, they do buy things, they may, just like
anyone else use your service and spend cash! (Indeed I was
looking at buying a car from Your Auto yesterday)

Can I also say if people want to know whether their competition
entrants are from a competition service that they put an opt in on
their pull down boxes that says "Competition Service" - that way
you'll be able to distinguish which of your paid for campaigns
worked properly. Just as a comparison - The article states Your
Auto... had 9000 entries in the first week of launch - over 3500
people were sent to one site with a car comp that started last
Saturday from Loquax alone. We'd expect that to double by the
end of this week.

A pop up box will not discourage people from finding your prize
draw because...

And a lot of people watch for new URL's simply because they may
have a competition (new site, low entry, more chance to win) - so
whether you publicise your prize draw or not is pretty much
irrelevant. And once people know there's a car to be won - they will
visit and tell their friends (newsgroups and websites will relay this
information)

Oh and if you're giving away car - most people will not be
discouraged about signing up for your newsletter. And one big
value prize does not actually discourage entries either (except in
the case of lottery sites) - as the article suggests.

I can fully understand that some marketing managers wish to try
and get "genuine customers" and don't like the idea of "freebie
hunters" - but surely getting people to your site is not bad way
towards making those people into customers or even aware you
and your service exist?

Or is it that it looks bad when you say that the marketing
campaigns you've ran (and paid for) haven't been quite as
successful when the "competition hunters" (which you don't pay
for) are removed from the other options "search engines"
"newspaper ads" that they've selected etc.

Basically if people are going to distinguish between their ad
campaigns by being less than polite about "competition hunters" -
then at least set in place realistic comparisons.

Jason
--
Loquax - http://www.loquax.co.uk - The UK's Competition Portal
Tel. 0191 270 0255 Mobile. 0777 376 8548