Subject: RE: UKNM: Usage statistics - the truth?
From: Piers Beckley
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:23:32 +0100

> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:40:39 GMT
> From: "Bob Smith" <bbob909athotmail [dot] com>
> Subject: UKNM: Usage statistics - the truth?
>
> Looking through the archive there are lots of programs that
> can analyse our
> log files and give us a summary. However, how do people
> actually find out
> the number of unique visitors to their sites? We can see
> sessions, but it
> seems that some ISP visitors create dozens of sessions each
> time they come,
> such as Freeserve and AOL, which surely skews the results?
> I've seen reports
> of sites that say how many unique visitors they get per month
> but they must
> be using something other than analysing their log files.

Sam - is it worth putting a FAQ together for UKNM? This is one of those
questions that keep coming up... (along with "How do I improve my ratings on
Search Engines?").

[Sam says: funny you should mention it, expect the first of the FAQs in
approx. 2 weeks time....]

Here's a repost of the answer from last time...

A Page Impression = A Thing Specifically Requested

So if I'm on a website, I click a link, and get an HTML page with 20 images
on it and an annoying ever-repeating soundfile, that's one PI. If on that
page is a link to one image on its own and I click on that, that's one PI.
Alternatively, if I clicked on a link and got a soundfile, that's one PI. If
I get a frameset containing 12 HTML pages, that's one PI.

Seems easy enough. So how do you measure the little buggers?

The simplest way is to filter out everything that's not explicitly a single
thing. So never allow users to click on a link and receive a "raw" jpeg, or
gif, or whatever-the-hell-the-latest-plugin-is - always embed it in an HTML
page. Then ask your technical people to write a filter program in perl for
your logfiles to throw away jpeg/gif/png/plugin requests. They'll be able to
do it in a morning and have plenty of time before lunch to surf slashdot for
cool things.

Don't use frames on your site. They suck anyway.

A Unique User = No Such Thing
-----------------------------

Server logs are wonderful things. They can tell you all sorts of useful
information. But unless you subscribe to a PC-metering panel, YOU CANNOT
MEASURE UNIQUE USERS FROM SERVER LOGS! Live with it.

If you feel you need a proxy for users you can measure Unique Hosts, which
are the computers that request data from your server. But they have no
measurable relationship to Unique Users, due to the fact that they could be

o a firewall machine
o an request from an AOL browser

ABC//electronic will allow you to claim a unique IP address cross-referenced
with a browser string as a unique user. If you need this information to sell
ads, by all means claim it. But don't fall into the trap of believing that
it measures anything useful.

Besides which, you'd be better off using cookies, as this is also accepted
by ABC as a measure for UUs and make your adsales dept. happier.

But that's not real data either.

Enforcement
-----------

When ABC//electronic come to do an audit they will check that

o you're not counting as PIs things like frames, pictures in pages etc.
o whatever you're claiming in unique users is justified according to the
rules that you've chosen to measure UUs with

They do this by checking random sessions of your logs for the month in
question, compared with your output figures.

Sessions & Clickthroughs

Don't even start me on this one. Just Say No.

Piers

This e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential. If you have received it in
error, please delete it from your system, do not use or disclose the
information in any way, and notify me immediately. The contents of this
message may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC,
unless specifically stated.