Subject: UKNM: P&G FAST
From: Steve Bowbrick
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 15:23:14 +0100

Didn't see any discussion of P&G's FAST summit here (this may be because my
mind has turned to mush since my son was born. Did I tell you he's very
advanced for his age?). The summit, intended to 'kickstart the web as an ad
medium', has triggered a lot of debate in the US ad press and online.

It looks grossly flawed to me - P&G's agenda so skewed towards advertising
it explicitly excludes discussion of e-commerce, databases, non-ad
commercial models, promotions etc. etc. This is the same kind of imperial
model pursued by P&G in other media - hardly subtle. The summit spawned
four 'task forces' charged with investigating the following four areas:
advertising models; media buying; measurement and consumer acceptance.

Does P&G's intervention promise a vital boost to the medium as it did for
TV in the fifties or is it just the dead hand of an old medium?

--
Steve Bowbrick Webmedia Group
0171 292 5545 0468 257 570

http://www.webmedia.com/steve steveatwebmedia [dot] com (mailto:steveatwebmedia [dot] com)