Subject: Re: UKNM: localised Web ad campaigns
From: Craig Pickup
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:39:15 +0100

Ray Taylor wrote:

> I had thought of ISPs, local press, and cafes, but the problem with them all
> is numbers - not enough for a campaign. But I will follow up some of the
> other suggestions / contacts and perhaps I can put enough together for a
> campaign.

Sorry for the late response on this but one possible avenue that has not been
mentioned in this thread is "Communities Online" and their associated local
based projects. They basically help local communities get wired and have often
developed a strong local network of Internet users/businesses/etc as well as
strong links with the local newspaper/radio media and could help achieve a good
local exposure.

These sorts of projects are often desperate for sponsorship and it is sometimes
possible to achieve quite a prominent position in their material for fairly
modest outlay. One other advantage is that some of these organisations are of
charitable status and so certain tax benefits can be gained in working with
them.

More details of Communities Online and some of the local based projects can be
found at http://www.communities.org.uk/. I also have close contacts with some of
the Communities Online people and so maybe able to help out identifying those to
contact.

[While mentioning Communities Online, a related project which is also currently
looking for additional sponsorship is UK Citizens Online Democracy
(http://www.democracy.org.uk). If any of you have clients which might be
interested in sponsoring UKCOD please let me know.]

Craig Pickup