Subject: RE: UKNM: Fast Summit
From: Ross Sleight
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:50:19 +0100

Peter @ Webmedia wrote:

>Potential problem here is who owns the data. Real world retailers will
>jealously guard their data for the very reasons Ross highlights. Perhaps
>new online retailers, who may be new entrants without current retail
>baggage, will co-own data with FMCG manufacturers. Maybe these online
>retailers will be a co-op of non-competitive FMCG manufacturers?

This is exactly the way that we could move forward, and which FAST also
seems to point the way. Non Competitive big brands owning point of sale and
distribution as well in order to market to their users in the most cost
effective manner (through co-operative marketing efforts for transaction
rather than brand awareness). I could really see this happening as the
major offline retail brands flex their muscles and vie with big brands in
the offline world at the moment (cut price brand name goods (i.e. Adidas,
Nike), owning databases of loyal customers, increased margin pressure on key
retailers, cap on number of branded goods that can take shelf space etc
etc.)

Perhaps the Net may become the experiment for this happening in a
traditional manner as well?

Ross