Subject: Re: UKNM: Fast Summit
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 10:12:03 +0100

From: Mark Dolley <markatzapworks [dot] com>

>Closer to home, the Rt Hon Chris Smith MP, Secretary of State for
>Culture, Media and Sport once had the idea of giving away
>state-subsidised digital set-top boxes to everyone in the country and
>financing the deal by auctioning off access licences.
>
>But not only did it smack of centralised "big" government, it would have
>dented Murdoch's plan. And as we all know, he is the one really running
>the country.

Typical ex-pat "wisdom" on home affairs. I think the current UK government
is the biggest (and undoubtedly the best and most popular) since 1945 and so
needs no particular help from Australian entrepreneurs, despite what the
crappy UK print media (Murdoch and otherwise) have to say about the matter.
And who needs state subsidies for broadcast? The BBC already soaks up too
much public money and enjoys a uniquely protected position as the result.

Digital TV will of course do enormously well with the level of investment
News Corp has planned for it. I only wish that bastard Murdoch would put
some dosh into Internet media.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan