Subject: Re: UKNM: RE: privacy of lists
From: Phil Gyford
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:42:35 +0100

At 16:35 21/09/98 +0100, you wrote:

>I did not file that thread, but as I see it this forum is almost public
>domain - although it is bad behaviour and impolite to take peoples postings
>outside the list and display them elsewhere without asking.
>
>I saw a post of mine to this list in a magazine not too long ago - not
>really on without asking.
>
>I am prepared to be shouted down on this however as I am picking up a fag
>end without reading the earlier posts. I would have thought that if you want
>something to be secret, don't send it over email as it is insecure anyway.

There's a difference between private and secret, and email being insecure
seems an irrelevant point. I'd regard the list as reasonably private, and I
wouldn't expect to read anything posted here printed in a mag without it
being approved by the originator like you have done.

Matthew's reaction may have been justified if the comments were made in a
truly public place (eg a magazine) but in a mailing list such as this it's
a huge overreaction that only makes himself look stupid.

My 2c.

Phil Gyford w:0171.766.6491
Deputy Editor h:0171.622.9058
Capital Interactive philatgyford [dot] com
http://capitalradio.co.uk http://www.gyford.com