Subject: Re: UKNM: RE: DIXONS - FREE SHARE
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:40:29 +0100

Steve Johnston wrote:

> I've just come off the phone with John Beaumont, Planet's MD and Energis'
Director of Strategy and Business Development, so from a horse's mouth (no
offence John) here's an update.

here's another one:

back of cd:
" If you need to upgrade your current PC to take advantage of this
superb new service, please call 01442 888 444. We can supply modems,
memory upgrades, Windows 98 and other software and hardware"

also, the fact that you can only sign up via their 0845 number, rather
than just becoming a member of their wonderful portal community via the
web, or your existing internet connection, rather points to them making
more from the phone call charges than Mr Beaumont claims.

so I'm calling him a liar...

Finally, installing the software on my pc with it's existing network
connection has fucked up my Explorer settings, and seems to be doing
some weird cookie based shit with www.freeserve.net, since accessing
that URL now causes it to run a script that starts up the Internet
Connection Wizard, and there's no way of cancelling it without
cancelling out of the signup process. I guess I'd better call their
helpline...

stefan
--
/**