Subject: Mac Designers (Was RE: UKNM: Banners ads, again)
From: Mat Morrison
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:09:02 +0100

Just to raise a point slightly off-topic:

I used to be a typical Mac-advocate. The Mac OS is still my favourite
historical OS. There are a disproportionate number of Mac users online
(mostly students in the US...) at around 10-12% of traffic on some sites.

But...

Shouldn't someone point out to their designers that this means that around
90% of users see Windows error boxes? Around 90% of users see white
mouse-pointers, not black? That 90% of users have dark blue title-bars, not
cute stripy ones?

All designers should (at some point) be dragged kicking and screaming onto a
Windows OS machine. They don't have to stay there, but they should remain
long enough to

Incidentally Annie -- on your successful campaign (Congrats on the
click-through) -- more than 85% of the users weren't affected by the banner.
What happened to the ones who clicked through (potentially a bunch of
mouth-breathers who were "tricked" into an unthinking click)? Did they buy?
Did they convert to lead?

Many of us have (at some point) put a photo of an attractive girl on a
banner (if for no other reason than to prove a point). For some reason, this
increases click-through by around 400-800%. What it doesn't do is deliver an
appropriate audience (except in certain circs. which are outside my
experience)

I agree that some clients may want "traffic, traffic, traffic", but isn't it
our job to listen to the client's objectives, and supply the strategic and
tactical input? "Traffic" certainly comes under the latter headings.

http://www.WebPromote.co.uk

Phone 44 (0)161 907 3309 2-4 Atkinson Street, Deansgate
Fax 44 (0)161 907 3302 Manchester, United Kingdom M3 3HH