Subject: Re: UKNM: The next stage in the game - was Dreamcast delayed
From: Clay Shirky
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 09:32:17 +0100

> will we be out of a job, overtaken by the gods of the spinny-text
> wizard, obsolete old duffers moaning about how it was in the good old
> days?

You could not spend a better pound researching broadband than to while
away an hour at easyEverything - i don't know how they've configured
their network, but when i've been there, those machines run *fast*,
and it makes the web run like local software.

the principal effect of broadband is to make existing sites work the
way they should. anyone who thinks broadband means that web pages
should become even more bloated is really just making sure that the
user experience is uniformly poor at any speed.

> or will response time still be sufficiently important?

Well, my goal of being the anti_Neilsen notwithstanding, Jakob has a
good paper on why response times will *always* be sufficiently
important (short answer: response times are coded for in brains and
not machines):

http://www.useit.com/papers/responsetime.html

-clay