Subject: RE: UKNM: e-commerce own goal -Reply
From: John Enser
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:46:10 +0100

We need to separate contract from regulation here.

Virgin was prosecuted by the US Department of Transportation - $20k
from memory - but that doesn't mean the customers got the flights.
Same may happen to Argos - could be prosecuted by Trading Standards
for misleading price information, but that doesn't mean they have to fulfil
the orders

John Enser
Olswang
www.olswang.co.uk

>>> Robin Edwards <robinatclockworx [dot] co [dot] uk> 8/September/1999
04:24pm >>>
On Wednesday, September 08, 1999 2:43 PM, Steve Johnston
[SMTP:Steve [dot] JohnstonatEntranet [dot] co [dot] uk] wrote:
> Apparently, according to someone who may not know for sure at all, the
> fact that everyone who tried to buy a Sony Nicam TV for ?3.00 will have
> known it was a mistake. Argos will be able to refuse to supply and
> defend the decision on these grounds.

I would be amazed if Argos did have to cough up the goods. How much of a
get-out clause is the standard E&OE message (not sure if Argos had one on their
site) and how does that conflict with the ASA's regs? I read that Argos had
consulted with ASA before making their decision not to honour the
orders.

Mind you, Richard Branson got stung proper for advertising the wrong prices for
flights on the web if I remember correctly.

Bad news does seem to be the current trend, what with Boo.com(ing soon) Virgin
Megastore's site problems, Schwab's site breaking and Jungle.com's poor speed.

Maybe it's a slow news year ;o)

Robin

This firm is regulated by the Law Society in the conduct of investment
business. A list of partners is available for inspection at Olswang, 90
Long Acre, London, WC2E 9TT. This e-mail is intended only for the
above named addressee/s. This e-mail may be confidential or legally
privileged. If you have received this e-mail and you are not a named
addressee, please delete it from your system and contact the Olswang
IT department on +44 171 208 8888 (x8422).