Subject: RE: UKNM: e-commerce own goal
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 18:07:06 +0100

On Thursday, September 09, 1999 9:43 AM, Robert Hamilton (brandwidth)
[SMTP:listsatbrandwidth [dot] co [dot] uk] wrote:
> Robin Edwards wrote:
>
> > I read that Argos had consulted with ASA before making their
> > decision not to honour the orders.
>
> Surely it's trading standards, not advertising? The ASA have nothing
> to do with the former (wherever you read it!).

> Robert Hamilton: robertatbrandwidth [dot] co [dot] uk

No, definitely seems to be the ASA. I read about it on the BBC site, and just
saw this on the FT site:

The problem with the internet is that it blurs these three physical elements.
"All three things happen at once, and all are regulated," says Advertising
Standards Authority, "If the [Argos] case does go to court, we'll be waiting
with bated breath to see what aspects of consumer protection apply, and when."

So it seems the ASA does act in that circle.

Robin

--
Robin Edwards
Clockworx Design Limited