Subject: RE: UKNM: Loyalty points
From: Jeff Marshall
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:18:29 +0100

Elizabeth Van Couvering said:
<What I don't get is, I've been shopping at my local safeway for years, using
a loyalty card, and never once have they tried to sell me anything.

Very good point. Safeway has a control group so that they can analyse the
effectiveness of individual campaigns. I understand that the control group
is a significant percentage of the loyalty card customers (more than 10%).
These people are never communicated with so that their shopping behaviour
can be recorded and compared to the rest of the world, who are eligible for
selection for campaigns.

You could try to register for a new card to try to move out of the control
group, but if your details all remain the same, you may find yourself being
de-duped against your earlier registration, ending up on the same partition
on the database, and still being in the control group. Perhaps you'll have
to move house to get marketed at. ;-)

One other thing, check your till receipt next time you shop in Safeway.
Some campaign communications are delivered through the EPOS itself. It's not
real time one-to-one, but candidates previously selected for a particular
campaign can be identified at the till when their card is swiped, and get an
offer at the bottom of the receipt. Next punter through the till won't get
the offer, 'cus they don't match the target profile.

And finally, watch those hand held scanners. They also know who you are,
and your shopping history. Next step is for them to know which aisle they
are in (this is under development), so they can remind you when you pass the
toilet roll, and you haven't bought any for a few weeks. No joke.

It's about time we got as serious as Safeway and the others about marketing
on the net.