Subject: RE: UKNM: e-commerce own goal
From: Richard Uttley
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:01:25 +0100

I heard on the radio that this could be an interesting case. In the
opinion of the legal beagle who was airing his opinion the case may be
viewed this way:

If you pass a high street shop window where goods are displayed without
prices then this is an indication of the goods that this business has to
offer - hence an invitation to treat with no contract is implied.
However, if you take the case of a ticket machine at a car park where
the price is clearly displayed in respect of the goods (in this case
parking time) on offer. The law (according to the beagle) sees this as a
contract offered by the seller (the owner of the car park) which can be
accepted by the buyer inserting payment and pressing a button. The
dispensed ticket is evidence of the contract. Very similar in fact to
accepting a price displayed on the Internet, making payment by giving a
credit card number, clicking the submit button and receiving
confirmation by email.

Now I may not have the wording verbatim and I can't vouch for the
validity of the beagle's statements, but it makes sense to me and I can
see it making an interesting column inch or two.

* richard m uttley
* email: richardatnetstep [dot] co [dot] uk