Subject: Re: UKNM: viral marketing
From: Paul Douglas
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:01:09 +0100

Charles Linn wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have any experience of 'viral marketing'
> apparently a hackneyed phrase and yet one I am unfamiliar with. Big in
> the states so I hear. For those of you also unfamiliar with the term,
> we are talking about e-mail based 'tell your friends' schemes.
>
> Any examples of where this has successfully run? I have been given the
> example of the US impeachment proceedings and the campaign to oppose it,
> but I was wondering if anyone knew of anything a little closer to home?

90s term for word of mouth, isn't it?

How about Hotmail? Give a product away for free and your users promote
it as they use it.

Which is what MeMail thinks:

"Viral marketing techniques that propelled companies like Hotmail, Xoom,
Geocities and Talk City into number one positions in their sectors also
have been used by MeMail.com to grow its subscriber base." From the
Xpress Press release wire last January, at
http://www.xpresspress.com/news/memail012999.html

Also, from 20 July: Columbia TriStar Interactive Embraces Viral
Marketing Technologies to Drive Online Awareness for Television and Film
Properties. See http://www.newsbytes.com/bizwire/99/8057.html

Hmmm...

--
Paul