Subject: Re: UKNM: Dreamcast vs Playstation
From: azeem azhar, lists
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:12:57 +0100

>>> I think what Microsoft are trying to do is some how re-form the Home PC
>>>in a
>>> way to a small budget box code named x-box, which will include powerful 128
>>> bit gaming capabilities such as the Dreamcast and PS2
>>>

>> one word:
>>
>> pippin.
>
>Oooh, yessss... Apple's finest hour... you can imagine the marketing
>conversation for that one:

Indeed, the Pippin was the cause of one of my many furiously unfine moments
as a "journalist".

reprinted below for those who missed it...

(p.s. i'm hiring: smart multi-skilled, intelligent producer-type,
strategy-thru;-to-implementation people). CVs to the above. salary +
options.

== begins
Apple Computer. Small in Japan

INDEX TERMS Apple Computer|Pippin, multimedia game; Multimedia|Apple
Computer's Pippin game; Internet|Apple Computer's Pippin game;
Computers|Apple Computer, Pippin multimedia game;
DATE 20-Jul-96
WORDS 850

IT IS always a little worrying when a company is praised for making a
smaller loss than expected. Apple Computer's $ 32m third-quarter loss,
announced on July 17th, came as a relief, given that the erstwhile guiding
light of Silicon Valley had lost $ 740m in the previous quarter. Less
noticed are the first signs that its snazziest new product, a
game-machine-cum-Internet-surfer called the Pippin, is doing badly. In the
four months since its launch in Japan, only 18,000 Pippins have been sold,
a third as many as had been expected.
This is hardly surprising. Little more than a stripped-down Macintosh
computer, with a joystick instead of a keyboard, Pippin resembles an
upmarket compact-disc player. It is designed to sit in the living room and
plug into a television set and hi-fi. Though, at around $ 600, it is
cheaper than a multimedia computer, it is roughly $ 400 more than the best
dedicated games machines, such as Sony's PlayStation.
Apple's hope is that Pippin will appeal to people who want to dabble with
multimedia and the Internet but prefer to avoid the hassle and expense of
buying a personal computer. But this market has not yet developed, and when
it does Pippin will not be alone in it. Dozens of companies are developing
'network computers' that should allow consumers to reach the Internet via
their TV. Such machines will be roughly $ 100 cheaper than Pippin, though
the latter has the advantage of its own CD-ROM drive, so that it can run
its own software instead of depending on the programs it will download from
the Net.
In Japan, Pippin has been manufactured and marketed by Apple's licensee,
Bandai, a Japanese firm responsible for Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, a
popular game. Like most game-machine makers, Bandai sells each Pippin at a
loss, hoping to make its profits from the software. But despite throwing in
Internet software, six CD-ROM titles and a generous subsidy, Bandai has
been unable to trigger the demand for Pippin that it had hoped. It looks
certain to miss a revised (and reduced) target of 200,000 sales in the
first year.
What went wrong? The few Pippin buyers turned out not to be young Japanese
teenagers, desperate for the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, but their
middle-aged parents. The bundled software, aimed at children, missed its
mark. Access to the Internet did not much excite these older buyers either.
Bandai now sells a cheaper Pippin without the Internet gadgets; it may also
adapt the package so that it contains more software for adults.
Apple says it is confident not only that the Japanese market will pick up
but that Pippin will fare much better in America and Europe, where it will
be launched later this year. Its optimism is based on the fact that most
multimedia games and software are developed on Apple's Macintosh computers
and so should be a cinch to convert for Pippin. This should set Pippin
apart from previous multimedia consoles - notably one made by 3DO, another
Californian company, that flopped because nobody wrote software for it.
The hitch is that, although developers design their games on Macs, they
nearly always aim their finished product at the much bigger PC market. A
few weeks later, they release a Mac version. If a market of 23m Mac users
fails to attract software developers, it is hard to see how a few thousand
Pippin users will. The early signs are that most big developers will stay
away until Pippin develops a following.
There is, though, another reason why America may be keener on Pippin than
Japan has been. America is hooked on the Internet, whereas it remains a
novelty in Japan. The American Pippin will be shipped with a Web browser
which can understand Java, a language expected to be the future of Internet
software. Even with this advantage, however, Pippin's competition will be
tough: Sega recently announced a modem and Internet package to accompany
its Saturn games console.
In the end, Pippin's success will depend on price. The present $ 400 gap
between it and the game machines looks daunting. One way to narrow this
price difference would be to find a services firm - such as a phone or
cable-television company - to lease Pippins to households. The only other
licensee, Katz Media, a Norwegian firm, is rumoured to be looking for such
partners in France.
By basing much of Pippin around existing technology, Apple has kept its
investment in the project fairly small. That has limited its risk. But it
has also limited its possible return. Apple will receive a royalty of
around $ 15 on each Pippin sold, and a further few dollars for each CD-ROM
title. CD-ROM buyers seem to be a thrifty group. Last year, the average
multimedia PC owner bought only one title. But Sony has sold around 4m of
its PlayStations in the past 12 months, and the average PlayStation owner
buys around five CD-ROMs. If Pippin sells as well as the PlayStation, it
will help Apple. But it will not save the company on its own.
� 1996 The Economist Newspaper Limited. All rights reserved

azeem azhar, esouk.com | www http://azeem.azhar.co.uk/
uktel +44 (0)7958 544 593 | icq 315460
ukfax +44 (0)207 691 0464 | usfax +1 847 574 0472