Subject: UKNM: Re: Viral Marketing
From: Max
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:13:04 +0100

This one is about as literal as you can get.

I heard about a games manufacturer who was releasing a game with a virus
theme to it. They sent out an email to a select mailing list with an .exe
attached that was disguised as something innocuous. When the receiver
clicked on this .exe a program was run that gave the appearance that their
hard disk was being erased bit by bit (or something - I can't remember the
details).

Anyway, the viewer was left to suffer for a minute or so before a splash
screen came up much to his relief heralding the release of this new game.

The idea was that the shock would be so great that the receiver would decide
that it would make a great practical joke to play on his mates, and so would
pass on the "virus"...

This was all a year or two ago, I think. I never saw the file so I can't
vouch for the story. Has anyone got a copy?