Subject: RE: UKNM: Viral Marketing
From: Tony Newland
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:18:35 +0100

you guys would probably be able to give me a raft of examples but has anyone
in the B2C market tried the old methods of loss-leaders, or that great MFI
"buy now pay later" instant credit thing? I still think this all comes down
to basic consumer psychology, the "buy now pay later" (subject to status)
approach would surely have advantages in a number of respects..we'll ignore
the financial implications of this for the moment, allow me a moment to
dream here :-) Customer wouldn't have to worry about security in terms of
giving credit card numbers over the net, it would have the effect of
building instant trust with the retailer (the retailer for the sake of
argument displays trust in the consumer to pay) and we are all more likely
to trust someone who trusts us. The customer gets the chance to see how fast
the goods are delivered and what condition they are in before having money
deducted from their credit cards etc and vitally that first sale is made.
Also "it's not real money is it if you don't have to pay for 30/60/90 days?"
Am I being naive here? Has someone tried this already, if so does anyone
know the results? Just because someting can be done instantaneously (paying
that is) it doesn't necessarily follow that this is the most effective way
to do business in terms of shifting volume of stock which is surely what
most B2Cs are desperate for.

> Tony Newland
> Advertising & Sponsorship Manager
> Rainbow Network Plc
> phone: 0207 278 1105
> fax: 0207 713 7732
> web: http://www.rainbownetwork.com
>
> Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author only and do
not necessarily represent the views of RAINBOW NETWORK PLC.