Subject: Re: UKNM: share trading sites
From: Silas Denyer
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 23:47:42 +0100

Hi "rouge"

I think that the problem here is that the sort of service you describe has,
as far as I'm aware, been illegal for some time, in the wake of the 1989(?)
stockmarket crash.

The problem is that having the "buy low" option tends to go hand-in-hand
with the "sell falling" option, i.e. hold my portfolio until the price dips
below a certain level, and then sell automatically. This was the cause of
the 1989 debacle: computers all around London were all programmed with "sell
falling" levels. As the whole market went down (due to other factors), the
computers one by one kicked in to sell, thus pushing the market down, thus
triggering further "sell falling" acts, etc.

The general feeling after �billions were wiped off the market was that
automatic dealing was a thoroughly bas idea and, as far as I know, was
outlawed forthwith.

Hope this helps

Silas