From: jason
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:56:32 +0100

On 26 Sep 00, at 15:48, Ben Thompson wrote:

> 2) for the provider of the prize the results can be scarely poor, and not
> mentioning any names here but I've seen some really, really scary examples
> of single and double figure entries attached to very big prizes (cars,

Kind of amazed at the "single and double figures" for very big
prizes - a new car competition added on Loquax can often generate
over 1000 clickthrus in the first day (and we don't charge, fools that
we are!)

> 4) Some agencies comments on the quality of the audience drawn into sites
by
> competitions are not repeatable in public and we are talking about large
> London based agencies here.

The standard phrase I've heard and had directed at me is "compers aren't
quality traffic" -
like they don't have money, have no intention of ever buying anything, don't
know how
to use the internet, are not aware of the sites or brands they visit...

Yes there are a group of hardcore people who will enter anything and
everything (sounds a bit off that, but
I am talking about competitions), but you get that offline as well.

> So yes I can run competitions at no cost. However, as I don't think it
does
> anyone any real favours so I don't.

We do run them at no cost, mainly because it's content for us,
helps build our database, and everyone who enters is emailed and
redirected to the sponsors site.

> A lottery is the perfect retention tool, theres a large but unlikely big
> prize, a small prize you may just about win

I actually disagree - I think it can be a bit of an albatross - people
are aware they won't win and become suspicious of the mechanics
of the competition. That is actually detrimental?

Jason
--
Loquax - http://www.loquax.co.uk - The UK's Competition Portal
Tel. 0191 270 0255 Mobile. 0777 376 8548

The biggest, best Chinwag Networking party...ever...
**27th September 2000** put it in your diaries now
RSVP to http://www.chinwag.com/uk-netmarketing/party.shtml
To sponsor the event email spareanychangeatchinwag [dot] com

generously supported by...
*** DoubleClick *** http://www.doubleclick.net
The leading provider of comprehensive global Internet
advertising solutions for marketers and Web publishers.