Subject: Re: thank you (Buttons)
From: John Croteau
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 22:33:06 +0100

Hi Marcantonio,

> I have some questions, anyway. Once I transformed something (e.g., a word)
> into a symbol, *without* checking the "button behaviour" checkbox, how do I
> turn it into a button?

Do not change a symbol to a button by changing it's "button behavior",
as this may create a dysfunctional button (one that doesn't work
correctly). To create a button from a symbol (or a dysfunctional
button):
1) Create a new button
2) Highlight the frame in the old symbol or frames in the
dysfunctional button
3) Right click and select Copy Frames
4) Highlight the first frame of the new button
5) Right click and Paste frames into new button

A button can be created out of a symbol by:
1) Selecting the symbol > Insert > Create Symbol (F8)
2) Enter a Name and check the Button Behaviour Box

Unfortunately if you had placed the old symbol or dysfunctional button
in multiple places, the new button instances will have to be positioned
into place one by one. It is best to create a new layer and use the old
symbols or dysfunctional buttons as guides for the new buttons. Delete
the old symbols or dysfunctional buttons after the new buttons are
positioned.

The lesson is:
If you are going to place a symbol multiple times, first determine if
you need it to be a button.