Subject: Re: Flash X DHTML
From: Christopher Schmitt
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 18:05:34 +0100

At 10:56 AM 4/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Flash animation makes it easier for people to make cool transistion
>>and morphs. But, how can I search a complete Flash-based Web site for
>>content?
>
>That's a server function. Check out FlameThrower at http://www.allegiant.com
>And there are many others. But SuperCard and it's equivalent web version
>Flamethrower, allows mere mortals to write awesome server side functions
>like this without having to deal with Perl & C. At last, an english-based
>scripting language that normal people can understand.

Seems to be a Mac-only tool. I don't want to start a Mac-vs-PC-vs-Unix
Server war, I use a unix solution to host my web sites and can't use this
product. With DHTML, I don't need to worry about the server. Just hack the
code.

>No one tool does everything. All top developers use a hybrid approach.
>The best tool for the job. For web pages, it's Flash. DHTML? Naaa. I'll
>pass.

Heh. Flash makes for cool effects...and with Flash Generator (unix
version), I'm excited to be able to make real Flash web sites down the
road. Don't toss out DHTML. When I talk about using DHTML, I'm primarily
talking about using layers of web pages...If I were to do a swipe of a sub
head, I would use Flash.
I think DHTMl is *almost* as overblown as Push...but, with DHTML we have
layers and a probably better crop of 5.0 version browsers that will support
its potential in both IE and Navigator.

Christopher Schmitt
a new media designer for hire
http://www.christopher.org/hireme