Subject: Re: Flash and PGML
From: John Croteau
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:25:25 +0100

Hi Chris,

I voted twice to see if there were any safe-guards to prevent someone
from using the back button and recheck his choice over and over again. I
did this to see if there was any reason to consider results of the poll
seriously from a statistical point of view. My second vote was actually
for a partner of mine. In any case, from a statistical point of view the
poll has no real value no matter how large its sampling.
The poll is just a bit of fluff, to have some fun, it shouldn't be taken
seriously.

PGML is just a proposal, but I hope that MM, MS, Netsacape, Adobe and
others will wait until a PGML standard is set before they implement
variations of this new standard. Once a standard is set Dreamweaver,
Flash, Freehand and other graphics programs can all be set-up to
generate PGML compatible code as an option. You will certainly be able
to use many regular graphics programs to draw PGML code. Whether or not
a particular vendor provides that option for their software will be up
to them.

I don't foresee the Flash binary format being replaced by PGML but
rather co-existing. And with some luck Flash will become the vector
graphics format. PGML is not a graphics format, it is a markup language
(a set of instructions to implement a graphic display).