Subject: Flash and/vs PGML (code will win out)
From: p.m
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:03:02 +0100

Hey all,

It is dangerous for Flashers to make the *assumption* that, because of
the Flash Open Format, Flash will now be native in the 5.0. browsers.
You have to keep in mind that both Netscape and Microsoft have their own
agendas (as ofcourse, macromedia, and adobe). And there is no guarantee
that they will do as we all think they *should*.

If these browser vendors had designer's best intrest in mind, then we
would never have the incompatiblities that we have now. This is the
begining of the new 'vector wars'..and expect Flash to be in the firing
lines.

>From what I can sense from the mozilla newsgroup, netscape is very
strongly promoting PGML. PGML native, Flash plugin. Why? Because, they
argue, PGML is much more tightly integrated with the DOM, XML, etc. And
Flash, being a binary format, could never open up to that degree. In
addition, Macromedia is not opening up the source code, so free source
developers will not reverse engineer the plugin for other platforms.

Utimately, code wins out. So when NS 5.0 comes out and it is PGML native
and is FAST...thats when Flash starts loosing.

Macromedia should be the one responsible in working with Mozilla to make
Flash as tightly integrated into the Mozilla tree as possible. There
should be macromedia engineers actively working with the mozilla
developers on the mozilla newsgroup. I dont see this happening at all.

The irony, of course, is that Macromedia claims Flash is now open. Yet
if this kind of development is not done in the open (with others such as
those in Mozilla.og) then you wont rally developers to the 'Flash'
cause.

By the way, Im recently getting 'enlightened' on the reality that Flash
and PGML should be complementary and not competitive. Macromedia is
promoting this concept... I also think they should actively promote it
with *code* that is complementary to the mozzila layout engine and PGML.

Regards
paul
paulatflasher [dot] net