Subject: More Flash 3 Hints...
From: David Baldeschwieler
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:31:00 +0100

Chris Auman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems like every time that I open up the library and make a new symbol
> and then close the library window, my project jumps back to the beginning
> of the movie! This is a huge annoyance and it is making my productivity
> suffer.

You'll be glad to know that in Flash 3 we have changed it so that when
you return to "Edit Movie" mode from "Edit Symbol" mode, the playback
head is in the exact same place it was before you went to edit your
symbols. ...One of the many many tiny-yet-huge improvements in Flash 3.
These aren't features you'll see on the back of the box... but for
folks like you that live and breath Flash, these things should make a
big difference in your productivity.

> Does anyone know if the notorious Netscape 4.0 Mac flicker problem was
>solved too? Please let me know because if it has than I will really be
>ecstatic!
>- --
>Jim Curry :-)
>Virtual Curry

Yup. The flicker thingy in Mac Netscape 4.x has been fixed in the new
Mac Flash plug-in. No more white flickers on goto next frame actions.

Jim Curry wrote:

> I am in heaven!! I haven't seen this mentioned yet....but I just
> discovered that a 500k plus Flash3 swf file actually stayed in my
> Netscape 3,01

>Hiya Jim,

>This is great news!

>Im still concerned however. Have you tried to see if I.E. 4.0
>caches the files also?

>- -DG-

Well, DG and Jim, You will both be happy to know that I have just
re-tested the caching on the new plug-in, using Jim's virtual house tour
as my test case, and it caches beautifully on NN3, NN4, and IE4 on both
Mac and Windows. All 500+ k of the house tour .swf filw stays happily in
the cache folder where it belongs.

>Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:44:16 -0400
>From: colinmoockaticeinc [dot] com (Colin Moock)
>Subject: hey, another 3 wishes...

>I thought of more wishes now that Flash 3 is in beta:

>1) Set the Action of a button by right clicking (or command clicking on
>mac). This way, if the up state of your button is empty, you can still
>change the links on the button without putting dummy content in the up
>frame.

One of the more subtle but sophisticated modifications we have added to
buttons, which I believe a lot you folks that are active on this list
will appreciate, is...

If you have a button with a blank keyframe in the "UP" state, you no
longer need to add "dummy" content to it while you are authoring in
order to position, assign actions, etc. Why?... The shape that you are
using to define the "HIT" frame of your button now appears as a 50%
transparent shape on the stage if the up state is a blank keyframe.

I don't know if that makes sense until you see it, so download the Flash
3 Beta TODAY and give it a try! We have also added a host of subtle
modifications and new features that are not mentioned anywhere on the
Flash web site.

We on the team are doing th best we can to stay in touch with the
features, bugs, productivity issues, etc. that people on this and other
lists and news groups are discussing. It would be impossible for us to
do everything in a single version (we would never be able to ship
because there is ALWAYS something else we could add), but we're doing
the best we can! Hope you all enjoy the new Flash 3! And definitely
download the beta and give it a thorough working. Right now is the most
valuable time for all of you to be using the new product, because we
still have a chance to fix any loose ends you may find before we ship
the final version (and I am talking specifically about exhisting bugs
here, not new wish list items.).

As far as wish list stuff goes, there have been a LOT of feature
requests and wish list items discussed on this list in the past few
weeks. We have been reading those carefully, and saving all the digests
for future reference. Flash 4 will address as many of the issues as
possible that have not been solved or answered in Flash 3. But for now,
I can't stress enough how valuable your feedback on the current beta
version is to us. THis is the time when we are fine tuning the
exhisting feature set and nailing and hidden bugs that may still be
lurking in the folds of FLash 3.

I hope this answers some of your questions, and inspires you to get busy
playing with our new toy - Flash 3!!!

-David B...
-Just another gear in the Flash machine...