Subject: Re: FLASH:QT4 and all the unwarranted griping
From: Frederico
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 07:54:12 +0100

On 4/20/1999 12:54 AM, David Gary of dgarystudiosatmpinet [dot] net said:

>Why do compaines create new features in there newer versions before
>addressing the
>problems of their present ones?

This comment, among others, is particulary annoying.

OK, all together now, say 'Beta'.

Again, "Beta" .

Once more, "Beta".

Now, let's say, 'You have a choice.'

Very good.

Now, let's say, 'Responsiblity.'

Excellent.

Now that we know as voluntary Beta testers, you have the responsibility
to read about the known issues prior to downloading and using a Beta
product, and that you have the choice to let others suffer through the
bumps as they are worked out, can we please stop bashing Apple because
there are an infinite number of combinations and configurations that they
must account for in order to create a powerful and dynamic interface that
may possibly threaten the security of said configurations, and thus they
address them one at a time, and *WAIT* -- unlike that to which many of
you bow down and pray to (Microsoft) -- to release a product for a cost
and call it Gold Master.

It's a Beta, people, and there are going to be some problems, especially
with networks, as networks have a problem with nearly *every* type of
Internet application, when they exist behind a bloody firewall.

Now, we get to the complaints about the samples found at MM. Did Apple
make those demos? Uhhh, not that MM has said. Are we griping at MM for
broken links, clogged bandwidth and poor implementation within 24 hours
of the release of the public beta? No, some of you want to stomp Apple.

Lord knows *no one* on this list has *ever* made a mistake in the beta
development of web applications and presentations that caused problems
under certain conditions.

Funny thing is, if you go check out Apple's listed samples, such as
Bloomberg Live, the SW1 trailer, the HBO promos, the live radiocasts, or
just about any other local QT content or other QT content from around the
web, you find remarkable improvements in quality, sound, compression and
stability, improvements that not only rival RealPayer [sic] and Netslow
[sic], but excel above in many regards.

And this, in my first-hand experience, holds true for both the Wintel
and Mac versions (note that they are released simultaneously, as opposed
to platform wait-bias), but few here are willing to admit that. It's much
more enjoyable for certain people on this list to complain, rather than
seek solutions and experiment with the issues and strengths, and report
those issues in an articulate and productive manner ...

...SO THAT THE BLOODY BETA YOU HAVE *CHOSEN* TO TEST CAN BE IMPROVED FOR
EVERYONE!!!!!

My cursory games with it show an extreme ease of interface with Flash,
and, not surprisingly, an *inability* to have LoadMovie fail, despite all
the authorative rhetoric to the contrary.

For those bitching about the d/l and interface, the intitial download
module and Beta docs available all over the web clearly explains that
you will have the option of d/l-ing a minimal, or a complete, or a custom
configuration of the new system, depending on your needs.

And the "Think Difficult" complaint is more than short-sighted, as this
new technology will allow for short, small and automatic downloads of
updated components as they become available, rather than having to d/l
another 8MB every damn time. Try that with Windows anything.

Will there be problems yet to come? Yes. Will they be repaired overnight?
No. But I guarantee you they will be resolved to the fullest extent
possible, and that they will be resolved in a timely fashion, as Apple's
overall performance record has demonstrated for those who've been close
to it for more than 20 years well know.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to having you eat your words as
you see how incredible Flash and QT shall prove to be. Until then, please
restrict your bitching on this list to a minimum, and only as it
productively pertains to Flash, OK? There are plenty of Apple-bashing
forums elsewhere. And you just might look to your own System config and
stability before you accuse Apple of screwing up.

Yours, written once again from a Wintel environment, while Chumbawumba is
thumping nicely in the background on my pretty new QT4 player, loaded
fast and flawlessly, and playing fine on a measly 28.8 connection, just
for fun,

Frederico

--"The reasonable man adapts to society. The unreasonable man expects
society to adapt to him. Therefore all progress is made by unreasonable
men." - Bernard Shaw

Tnereffid Kniht.