Subject: Re: FLASH: Response from Web Host re:mime setting
From: Joe Crawford
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:09:39 +0100

Keenwittedataol [dot] com wrote:

> Hello Flashers,
>
> I'm learning Flash and about to revamp my website (www.big.com (which
> currently only has a short Director animation on it). After learning all the
> problems re:MIME SETTINGS, i emailed my host service and got the following
> answer. Is this valid or are they giving me the runaround and I need to
> switch? Thanks in advance to the Mime enlightened experts.
>
> "Erm... the site in question appears to use Flash types and I don't believe
> they make a Flash plugin for UNIX, so this doesn't do much good.
>
> If you need to add MIME types to your site, this is quite simple to do. All
> you need to do is to create a .htaccess file containing the proper MIME types,
> and upload it to your web directory, /usr/www/users/bigq in ASCII mode.
> Instructions on setting up the MIME types are at
> http://support.pair.com/faq/webserver.html.

Disappointing. Pair networks is a great self-service host. I happen to
host 3 sites with Pair and really like them. Never have seen a response
this chuckleheaded (confusing the server and client side so badly).
Everything important I've ever needed of them has been handled in their FAQs.

See:
http://support.pair.com/faq/webserver.html (which they actually did send
you) - this URL also states that Flash in enabled (and I'd be shocked if
it's not) on their servers:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

How do I add a new MIME type?

In your root directory, you'll add AddType commands to your
.htaccess file (create it if needed). The syntax for AddType is:

AddType application/octet-stream dat
AddType image/pnm pnm

These examples indicate that any file ending with dat is a plain
binary file (to be downloaded, not viewed on-screen), and that any
file ending with pnm is a special image type (which most browsers
will not recognize for display purposes at this time, unfortunately).

A wide variety of MIME types are already recognized by the Web
server, including those for Shockwave, Flash, and Real Audio
files; a complete list is available _here_.

http://support.pair.com/faq/mime.txt has the giant list of mime types
they support.

> Note that there are already many MIME types installed on the server; you will
> likely want to check the list at http://support.pair.com/faq/mime.txt first.

I actually did the magnificent "Croteau test" on my Pair-hosted site and
it works.

http://www.pair.com/mime/

HTH,
Joe