Subject: Re: FLASH: New Media OpEd pushes Flash- opinions?
From: Jefferis
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:29:42 +0100

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:59:00 -0500, cburkeatearthlink [dot] net (Chris Burke)
wrote:

>In the Sept. issue of New Media magazine there is an Op Ed by Neil
>Balthaser of Balthaser Online called "Kill HTML". The article casts doubt
>upon the presumption that html can help the web compete seriously for the
>TV and film audiences. Mr. Balthaser feels developers and designers should
>embrace Flash as the most robust web authoring environment around. When
>Flash 4 was introduced, I mused privately to friends that it may well
>unseat the browser as the way to view/interact with the web.
>
>If this isn't too off-topic, I'd love to hear what Flashers think (as an
>admittedly biased source).

I think this brings up the question of the future of the Internet. I
still am at 56k which gives me a pretty accurate idea of the market
medium [I hope]. What percentage of the market is still at 28 or slower?
Anyone?

However, with Flash and full time video on the horizon, I can see content
creators going after the higher end with full production video. There is
definitely going to be a dividing line between cable/DSL connections and
the rest of humanity.

Now it comes down to: how much a key to your market niche is this
segment? Are you going after the high end, latest and greatest crowd?
Then you need the flash and a secondary site for slower browsers. Right
now, only Flash can tell a connection speed by measuring the download
time of a client's viewer.

I think I see a two tiered market developing, where traditional web
design will be the low/lower end. And 3D video companies will capture the
high end.

Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Peterson Sales
Web Design and Marketing