Subject: Re: FLASH: x-mas song copyright INFO
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:02:06 GMT

At 11:10 AM 12/14/99 , you wrote:

>Don't mess around with copyrighted music on the web. These days, the
>sharks are
>looking to set precedents and make examples of people...
>
>Debbie Miller

Hi Debbie,

With all due respect, if I liked your Joe Montana Flash piece and, let's
say, used it on a client's website and thereby made money off it, and you
sued me, would that make you a shark "looking to set precedents and make
examples of people"? I think not.

Artists have the right to determine how their art is used and who gets to
profit from it, as well as the right to share in those profits. These
rights vary from country to country, but there is pretty wide agreement
that those rights do exist.

There is far more theft of art that could ever be litigated; that doesn't
make it okay to steal, nor does it make it any less right for copyright
holders to choose to enforce their rights. The fact that there are sharks
out there looking to profit from copyright infringement is another matter.
I would like to think that most people on this list will respect copyrights
not out of fear of "the sharks" but out of respect for the artists.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com).
My Flash Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...