Subject: FLASH: OT Mac vs PC?
From: webmaster
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 02:20:52 GMT

OffTopic for Flash, but I figure someone on this list will have an opinion
on this...

As far as Mac's -VS- PC's go, why do most midi/and multimedia designers tend
to go for Mac's? what are the advantages of doing so?

I could see that if you went out and bought some crap bundled PC or
referb, you will find yourself looking at bottlenecks all over the place
especially for A/V production ), but if you build your own machine using
top of the line components, shouldn't it be comparable or even more suitable
than a Mac? What about for standard workstation use, any advantages over
PC's?

I understand that NT and other Win platforms can be unstable, especially
when you have many other applications running, and I know many people hate
Microsoft because it's so domineering, but I figure there has to be a more
valid reason for the conversion. IMHO that NTServer and NTWorkstations,
if configured correctly on descent hardware, work seamlessly, at least at
the corps I've worked at.

I have a client that is considering scrapping all their PC's for Macs
because 2 workstations are running low on memory, which is an absurd and
unnecessary fix. They do not run high end audio or multimedia applications,
just a few intranet apps and a few DB's. I figure since I've heard so much
hype about Macs I'd ask you guys what the benefits are before discouraging
my client on this venture.

What RDBMs are available for the Mac ( oracle, maybe access, but most
certainly not SQLserver )...
and
Is it easy to set up a Mac workstation on NTServer? We will at least need
to use IIS for an ASP Intranet app ( I don't want to recode the whole damn
thing in perl or php), and I'm not about to play around with unix and chilli
extensions. I'm sick to hell hearing about all these people going off and
buying 3rd party box then having it emulate a PC, why not go stick with what
you're trying to emulate?

What about printers? Do you have to buy the Apple printer with the Apple
system, he he.. j/j....

Please help me to understand this Mac conversion frenzy...

Thank you.

flasher is generously supported by...