Subject: Re: lines & selection bug -recipe
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 16:12:00 GMT

Hi John,

>It possible that your problem is a variation of the Pencil Drawn bug.
>http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Graphics/PencilBug.htm
>But it appears to be different.

Nope. It's not _that_ pencil bug.

>Since your problem is repeatable, post a step by step on how
>to duplicate the problem, so we can find out if it is a problem on the
>Mac, all systems or just your machine.

I just fired up the windows machine, and it's the same there John, so it's
not a Mac-only problem.
You should be able to reproduce this - first try.

Pretty easy...

*New Flash

*Pencil tool, line, solid, -color or thickness doesn't matter.

*Draw a line. Make it a symbol.

*Duplicate the original line or drag out another one from the library, it
doesn't matter which. Make 4 or 5 of them.

* Select them all and do an align (vert top)

-Click elsewhere on the canvas, they won't deselect. Clicking again might
get you the edit box.

-If you get them deselected, try clicking on the canvas, different ones
will select seemingly at random, sometimes 2 or 3 at a time.

-Shift clicking on one of the lines to deselect it may cause a different
one to deselect. Shift clicking on the canvas causes different ones to
select & deselect.

-Sometimes you just can't seem to get them all to deselect. Choose another
tool (text for example) and click on the canvas to get the lines to
deselect. Choose the pointer tool again. Even though nothing is selected,
dragging on the canvas will cause one or more of the lines to move, just as
if you were intentionally moving it.

-Sometimes an align will work, other times it works but several lines
dissapear.

Hope this gets fixed soon - it makes it absolute hell to try to draw charts
with grid backgrounds.

On another good note: I just received my first contract to build a large
website *entirely* in Flash, and Flamethrower for the server CGIs. I'm
looking forward to outperforming standard HTML sites by a wide margin!

TIA,

/wayne

Wayne Townsend
WebStaffing.Net
Dallas, Texas
US- 972.713.8705
waynetatTopher [dot] Net (mailto:waynetatTopher [dot] Net)
wayneatWebStaffing [dot] Net (mailto:wayneatWebStaffing [dot] Net)
gscatOnRamp [dot] Net