Subject: Re: FLASH: Achieving True Flash Enlightenment
From: Mary Brzys
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:19:01 GMT

Hi Mike,

Well, there's books out there and some of them are ok, what I learned
I learned from looking at other peoples sites; which in turn is
inspiring. Also from this list and from links from people from this
list. One of the best ways to learn is to actually create a page for a
client, and make sure you have a heftly deadline to hit. It's amazing
what you learn when you have to hit a deadline! Of course now, you
could also just start creating something......and if you make a
mistake, try again. Like if you fall off your bicycle, or in your case
your bigwheel, get back on and try again. Lucky for you, being on a
bigwheel, you don't have far to fall!

Mary Brzys
Flash Artist

---Mike Grove <radonatvicon [dot] net> wrote:

> Hi, folks.....
>
> I've been trying to come to grips with the concept of integrating
Flash
> into an existing web site. Do most of you use frames to accomplish
this
> task, placing the flash portion in one frame as a navigation tool
used to
> link to pages from the existing site in another frame? Is it better to
> forget the old site and rebuild entirely in Flash? It seems to me that
> using Flash to just do some nifty rollovers is kind of like
threading a
> needle with a sledge hammer since it's such a powerful tool.
>
> For an example let's say the site contains a portfolio section of
images.
> Since bitmaps are kind of a no-no in Flash, would that part of the
site be
> better off as an old-fashioned .html page? I hope I'm making sense
here.

> I feel like I'm six years old again learning to ride my first
two-wheel
> bicycle and I'm...almost.....there....but I haven't quite grasped the
> concept. I've learned quite a lot since we purchased the program and
have a
> pretty fair grip on the basics. The tutorials from some of you and
> Macromedia have been very helpful and I'm at the stage where all the
pieces
> need to come together to transport me to "Flash Nirvana".
>
> The manual only takes you so far and then it appears we must venture
out on
> our own, looking at other Flash sites, talking with each other on
the list,
> listening to other users' questions and discussions and possibly
getting a
> book on the subject. Am I on the right track here?
>
> Thanks for all the nuggets of knowledge so far,
>
> Mike Grove

==

http://www.brzys.com
rhymes with fries!