Subject: RE: FLASH: My big fat ethical flash penis
From: ben
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 07:15:34 GMT

> Ok. Who let the children on the server?

not to continue an OT thread or anything, but comments like that are
counterproductive as hell. I'm 20, and had a bitch of a time finding work
despite my skill & qualifications. i was told flat out that it was because of
my age. Finally, I've found a great position, but since they found out my age,
relating to my coworkers has been an uphill battle.

the fact of the matter is, that in today's newmedia-driven society, children
have the edge. if you want to berate someone for their behavior, that's fine-
but why assume that to be young is to be morally or psychologically unfit to
participate in an open forum? it's precisely that mentality that leads to
resentment and misunderstanding.

it's a different world, man- i've been online for eight years now... how many
others in our field can say the same?

as for the comment itself, i have to agree. the internet is inherently an
anarchic structure. to try to regulate it, prevent "intellectual property
theft," or prevent others from "stealing" your ideas is a pretty big waste of
effort. if your idea is so fantastic and personal that noone else can emulate
it, then rock on.. chances are, you'll be given the laurels you deserve. if
it's not, then maybe it wasn't so great to begin with. we deal in knowledge
and artistry. if you don't want to share yours, then maybe you should find
another profession. would you write a book and keep anyone from reading it, in
case they were influenced to follow through on your research? paint a picture,
only to show it to those who swore they'd never pick up a brush themselves?

maybe you're thinking about some mind-blowing ecommerce app that'll make you a
billionaire. artistry be damned- it's all about easy street, right? i'm
willing to bet it's not flash-centric... or if it is, you're not the first to
think of it. flash has changed and grown almost entirely due to the demands of
its users- any option you can consider was probably put there because someone
asked for it... so it all comes down to whether you have the resources to
follow it through. if you do, then go for it. if you don't, then why not
share?

like it or not, flash is a graphics/multimedia program first & foremost.
you're an artist now. live like one.

-BEN
btw, nobody was let on a 'server'
anyway. your terminology is