Subject: RE: [flasher] Fundamental question
From: Paul Willoughby
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:29:54 -0000

Hi Tim,

A textfile for holding info on what's sold and what isn't is definitely the
most straightforward way to achieve this. You just need a list of name/value
pairs in a text file. e.g. unit1=sold&unit2=unsold&unit3=sold...etc. If
you've never done something like this then do a search on Flashkit tutorials
for 'loadvariables'. You'd need to write a little actionscript loop that
reads all the variables and sets the movie clips to their corresponding
state when the movie loads (assuming each site/unit is in its own movie clip
called mcUnitXX which has 2 frames one labelled 'sold' and one labelled
'unsold'). The easiest way is to load the variables into a target movie clip
and have that clip act when it receives all the data e.g.

OnClipEvent(Data){
for(i=1;i<totalunits;i++){
if (_root["mcUnit" + i] == "sold"){
_root["mcUnit" + i].gotoAndStop("sold")
}else{
_root["mcUnit" + i].gotoAndStop("unsold")
}
}

There are other ways you could target the clip, for example, instead of 2
frames containing the different states you could just modify a clips colour
depending on whether it's sold or not.

Making it easy for the client to update is probably the more awkward bit. If
you know someone who can write Excel macros you could just make a
spreadsheet they can save as a Flash friendly text file. Or just get them to
let you know when and what needs updating and you can edit the text file
yourself in 2 secs.

hth

paul