Subject: Re: [flasher] Re: [OT] Active-x : the only way?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:27:33 -0000

Sorry for the delay, and I'm not sure I pulled the right questions from the
posts, but I hope these may help:

-- IE/Win is able to use Netscape Plugins, but most installations use the
auto-installable ActiveX Controls

-- The Macromedia Flash Player is available wrapped as a Netscape Plugin,
and also wrapped as an ActiveX Control (ie, the player can be either
control or plugin)

-- IE/Win only offers script/object intercommunication with ActiveX
Controls, not with Netscape Plugins. (ie, you *need* the Player in ActiveX
wrapper to use FSCommand in IE/Win.)

-- If a browser's security settings are set to disallow ActiveX *use*,
then it won't let controls display. (This is distinct from restrictions on
ActiveX *installation*.)

-- When installing ActiveX Controls you'll see a digital certificate,
which identifies the site doing the installation. Such a digital ID merely
identifies a site via a certifying body, and such an ID makes no
representation or claims upon the safety or integrity of items downloaded
from that known site. (ie, a certificate merely says "yup, that's
Macromedia all right" rather than "hey, this is the Flash Player, cool
beans!" or whatever computers say.... ;-)

-- If an intranet is set to bar ActiveX installation or use, then these
people will see similar warnings on many, many other well-known sites...
you won't bear this burden alone.

jd