Subject: RE: [flasher] Urgent: F5 print files TOO BIG!
From: Paul Willoughby
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:34:36 -0000

Rick Lee wrote on 19 February 2001

> This is an urgent problem. My client needs it fixed by Wednesday.
>
> I've programmed Flash 5 to act as a layout app to print stylized
> letters in arbitrary strings. It's Korean Leather Brush Art
> to be used
> as souvenirs at SeaWorld in San Diego. (See www.brush-art.com)
>
> The letter files were done in Illustrator and saved as .swf files.
> They are strung together by using loadMovie() repeatedly. It
> all works
> fine. But apparently Illustrator can only save them as bitmaps.

eh? are they saved as SWF's or bitmaps? Or are they converted to bitmaps
then saved as SWF's? Anyway, the point is Illustrator has loads of export
options which can help optimize the file size. If the files are original
vector drawings, you can copy and paste the artwork directly into Flash or
import the .ai file. I've found in the past that if you're working with
really complex vector images it can reduce the file size if you can convert
them to gifs, although that way you'd lose a bit of clarity and the ability
to scale them.

Or do you mean they can only be printed as bitmaps? Flash's 'printAsBitmap'
preserves transparency effects, but is going to produce larger postscript
files (although I've no idea how they get to being 200 mb - it must be very
complex artwork!). The only way to avoid using printAsBitmap *and* maintain
transparency effects is to convert all the images to gifs and use the simple
'print' command.

hth

paul