Subject: Re: [flasher] RE: Is there a way to check the online status from an e xe without the error dialog?
From: Andries van der Leij
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:06:13 -0000

Hi Gregg,

Sorry for my slow reply.

Thanks for your reply. It's a nice app you wrote. May I ask with what
programming application you work?

I've tested it on our network. We have a DSL connection over a VPN and your
app told me I was connected when I was, but also when I wasn't. I guess this
has to do with the same problem that results in a incorrect result of the MM
Director "the environment.internetconnected" property. It has to do with
the configuration of the intenet options settings:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/director/ts/documents/internt_connected.ht

They have made a simple but effective work-around for this and I guess it's
the only way that you can be certain about the connection: by downloading a
.txt source from the Internet and obtain a variable from it. Director uses
"GetNetText" and flash would use "LoadVariables". The problem is however
that that darn Flash Player comes up with that irritating dialog box when
the connection fails. If there would be a way to keep this dialog box from
appearing (maybe with some kind of resource hacker as reshacker...?) then
you are where you would want to be.

Third party developers have proved that the manipulation of the player is
not impossible. I myself have used FlashJester Jugglor for some time now and
it's great for making movies borderless, fixed and the best thing is that it
allows you to incude other files into one "neat" package, wich are unpacked
in running-time.

While flashjester doesn't offer this online status check I just found out
that the new beta from swifftools, swiffcanvas, does!

http://www.swifftools.com/stools/

It has other nice functionalities, such as writing to the registry (!!!),
wich of course is great for CD-rom projects or projectors on other types of
read-only media...

I don't know how the check from Swiff works though but all together I think
it's a nice app for it's price...

BTW I saw your setting of the desktop app also and it's great!!!

Best regards,

Andries van der Leij