Subject: RE: [flasher] Flash vrs Director
From: Pradeep K. Nair
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:44:55 -0000

You're right about Director having to have most of its elements brough in from
other applications, but that's part of the beauty of it - for people who are
used to making their graphics somewhere else, or their audio elsewhere, etc. -
they can get them all together in one central place. It may be a minus that you
can't author (or rather, can't do a good job of authoring) these elements inside
Director, but it's a huge plus that you can use the tools that you're familiar
with to do it, and still be able to use them in Director.

As for it's other plusses, Director has Xtras - Flash doesn't. That means that
you can build plug-ins for Director and have them usable in ways that Flash can
only dream of at this point. For example, have a look at BuddyAPI or DirectOS -
those Xtras allow you direct access to functions that would freak out the
average Flash developer. Plus, database interactivity without the need of a
monster like Oracle and a scripting engine like JSP to talk between them (just
as an example) - instead, you have neat, tight little Xtras like V12-DBE and
Valentina. Can you stick video in Flash? Not without faking it. But you can
in Director. Can you put PDFs in Flash? No, but you can in Director. Can you
do relatively advanced handling of QuickTime movies in Flash? Well, in Director
you can. Now, don't get me wrong - I absolutely love Flash. But I know full
well that there are times when Director is the better tool. If I was going to
create a demo-CD or portfolio of my work, I'd probably do it in Director -
because I would be able to tell what applications the end user had on their
machine, and what assets I should use to pull up my items (for example, if they
have Photoshop on my machine, I could open it up and let them load up an action
that I created, or if they had Napster, I could automatically invoke a search
for a certain mp3 that I created so they could see how popular it was, etc.).
That's just one example. Of course, if I wanted to have a Web portfolio, I'd do
it in Flash. Director sucks on the web. It's not widely used, it's a
relatively heavy download, etc. It's just a matter of your target market.

Another thing is that there is a lot of overlap between the two applications -
Flash and Director. But some of the things you can do in both are easier to do
in one. For example, I could create a crazy-ass animation all within Director.
But it would take me probably 3-4 times as long as doing the same in Flash.
Whereas, I could create a database-driven CD-ROM application which loads up
images, animations, sounds, etc., dynamically from a database using Flash and
HTML. I wouldn't do it, though - just too long and a total hack in Flash. I'd
prefer to do it in Director.

Anyway, I think you've written off Director without really knowing what it's
capable of. If you're looking at it as another version of Flash, you're looking
at it all wrong - it won't be able to compare if you look at it that way. But
if you look at it based on what it can do and what market you're targetting,
you'll see where its uses come in.

Just my $0.02 CDN. :)

HTH
-Deep (just a guy)