Subject: Re: FLASH: Movie Clips/Sound files
From: Dave Hollinden
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 19:05:15 GMT

At 10:42 AM 1/1/99 -0800, you wrote:
>To get specific sounds to turn off, you'll need a frame action for each
>sound, in which you specify the particular sound and then set Sync to
>"Stop." Also have a stop action in each of the frames. So if you have three
>sounds, you'll probably want a movie clip with four labeled frames that can
>be targeted. The first would have an action to stop all sound. The second
>would stop sound B, stop sound C, and start sound A. Third would stop A,
>C, and start B. Etc.

>If you try this please let us know how it works. What I have noticed is
>that starting a sound in Flash often involves a slight lag time and,
>sometimes, a tiny crackle as the sound kicks in. I haven't found a way to
>make this sort of action seamless.
>
>Marc Hoffman

Hi Marc,
One way to make it a bit more "seamless-like" is to stagger the Stop and
Start keyframes. I try to start a new sound file a frame or two before I
stop the current one, and maybe even give the new file a short fade in to
soften any overlap between the two. You can also make a small "transition"
sound file that you play every time you need to stop/start sound files,
something with a bit of decay that can help mask any gap or overlap between
files.

Dave Hollinden
Audio Engineer
Jet City Studios, Seattle
dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com (mailto:dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com)