Subject: Re: Learing HTML (was: Branden Hall. FLASH: A solution to zipped files on Mac's!)
From: Tirah
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 20:19:06 GMT

Definitely learn the code from scratch first. Then you can fix all
the extra junks the WYSIWYGs put in. :)

I've had people tell me that once the HTML is learned, using a WYSIWYG
is an acceptable time saver because they then know what it is they
need to fix in the code, and save time that way rather than code the
whole page from scratch.

Though personally, I would rather stick pins in my eyes before using a
WYSIWYG. :)

HomeSite (or Net Objects Fusion a.k.a. HomeSite on Steroids) for
PC and BBEdit for Mac are great editors. I love them to death.

In any event, yes knuckle down to do the HTML. IMO the best way to
really get what you need out of HTML-from-scratch knowledge is to
put up a page with some complexity to it and get it to look exactly alike
in all the major browsers, and on both PC and Mac.

I also second the recommendation of the HTML Visual Quick Start Guide.
Great book. Has everything about HTML in concentrated doses of concise
english.

HTML is not hard to learn. But it does require a certain degree of
anal-ness and a willingness to tweak at it for cross-platform
compatibility. Plus, your coders will thank you for not taking their
pages and adding lots of stuff to them that they then have to backtrack
and take out all over again. :) (and again...and again...and...) This will
happen with stuff coded from scratch that later got opened in a WYSIWYG.
Phenomenal waste of time to deal with.

Tirah