Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash - barrier to entry?
From: David Gary
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 23:44:22 GMT

dickson chow wrote:

> Just a little info, Windows 98 comes with the flash/shockwave plugins and
> Netscape 4.5 comes with the flash plugin also.

Another bit of info; Win98, the user has to manually select the Shockwave
option.Unlikely, since
most Win95/98 os are installed by the manufacturer and Shockwave option is NOT
checked default.
NS4.5+, FLash is part of the browser standard.(Flash plug-in is given
unknowingly)wanted!

I would like to ask if there are any reliable links to information that would
have true facts
about the pros of using Flash for website design and how to "sell" it to a
client or agency.
Maybe an outline to pass on with a budget form. In the past I have only seen
false
info and inflated falacy of how easy Flash is to install.

The fact of the matter is, Flash3 is still a plug-in and it still has to be
manually installed. Certain browsers have to be closed and re-opened or
refreshed after the plug-in has been installed and before it will work. With
I.E., the visitor must have the DirectX drivers installed for the "auto"
install to work(Unlikely for older win95 users using IE3.0).With other
browsers the viewer must leave the "Flashed" site and return after visiting
MM's site and going through the form fill. Does anyone have a reliable link to
a true browser chart or schematic that will show step by step process for each
popular browser's way of installing and getting FLash3 to work? This
information is rare to those of us that already know how to "tween a symbol".

The bottom line is: Developer's tend to lose site of what your average "Joe
Blow's" expectations are on what to expect
while surfing. Or overlooking the overloading of information a new comer or
intermediate user of the internet recieves after
installing his ISP's access software. Im not suprised that even the best
animator or web designer using Flash isnt having to lower his/her standards or
having a hard time selling the use of this medium to a client because of over
expectancy and mis information
given to the client or agency. I'm glad its getting better, but its harmful to
this new industry to mislead your clients on what to expect or give hyped
information about the plug-in issue. Instead I advise that the serious Flash
developers that are subscribed to this list, post a reliable link or updated
information to show how a developer can give potential clients straight facts
on the use of Flash content that can meet their needs. Particular browsers
included. For the 2 years Ive been subscribed to this list I have yet to see
any helpful information on how to "sell flash", but instead "how tos" and
tutorials on the "use" of the medium. I have yet to see any real "developer's
insight" on how to inform clients on the advantages of using flash and what to
expect from people viewing the content. I still sometimes have trouble
installing the plug-in and Ive been using Flash since 2.0. Vector animation is
NOT a web standard no matter how bad we want it to be or how used to it we
are. Netscape 4.5+ is our only hope right now for mainstream traffic. We must
honestly inform potential clients on what to expect and give hard facts on how
it works. I cant tell you how many times Ive overheard some salesman at Best
Buy tell a customer that a computer was no harder to use than their toaster
oven. Too much hype and this vector business will burn as quickly as it was
started.

Want an example? Director.(for web use)

Please, comments.

-DG-