Subject: Re: FLASH: (OT): Flash 4 (Upgrading)
From: Erik [gearik] Mattheis
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:48:57 GMT

>>Perhaps what we need is an industry-backed "tune-up station" of sorts that
>>would automagically upgrade browsers with the say, top 20 plug-ins, without
>>any help from the user. Then we need to train the audience to go there
>>periodically (advertising by the majors). Maybe even make it a quarterly
>>thing.

This thought could only come from someone completely and irreversibly off
their rocker. Nobody is going to make people that don't "get" computers
"get" them - is it not true in your experience that most of your family
members and neighbors can't even install their own software?

>So if The Flash 3 Player is bundled with Windoze 98, and Mac OS 8.5, and
>Netscape 4.5, and I.E., etc. etc. etc.
>...and then Flash 4 comes out and it's files are not backwards compatable
>with the Flash 3 player included with the above,
>...well that would be a foolish error on Macromedia's part.

I don't think so ...

It seems the reason that many people haven't download the plug-in is
because they don't realize how cool Flash is until they see it, I know most
people who I show Flash sites download the plug-in for themselves -
likewise, people with with the 3.0 plug-in will probably want to get the
4.0 version if they get an alert, and all they have to do is click "yes" a
few times. I wish the alerts didn't sound so threatening, though.