Subject: Re: FLASH: A word about tutorials
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 04:53:12 GMT

At 09:44 PM 1/7/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I am finding Flash exceedingly difficult to learn and the tutorials equally
>difficult.

Russell, I have to differ with you on this one. I think Tim's message is
important and should not be taken as a slam. It is reasonable to expect
that when someone posts a tutorial, be it Macromedia or an individual, that
the intent is for it to be accurate and helpful. About the "free" issue,
it's not as if he's demanding any compensation for his lost time, nor was
he being inappropriately judgmental. In fact, Tim was offering some free
help of his own, and his feedback was specific and spoke directly to the
point of what a tutorial needs to be -- comprehensive and easy-to-follow.

We can choose to hear and evaluate criticism, even seek it out, or we can
ignore it or feel hurt by it or denounce it. Actually I do feel hurt by
criticism, but that doesn't outweigh its benefit, so I seek it out just the
same. Without feedback it is enormously difficult to overcome the blind
spots that every person has. I have noticed, for instance, that a lot of
web designers (not just those who post tutorials) expect their visitors to
think like them, to make the same assumptions about navigation, for
instance, or to understand highly technical jargon or extremely vague
terms. A lot of Flash designers will make something because it uses cool
tricks, but if the presentation is for anything other than self-amusement,
their preoccupation with tricks can work counter to the purpose of the
finished product. If we're willing to hear it, feedback can help remove the
blinders and make us more effective at what we do. This list is the right
place to solicit and receive specific feedback about Flash issues.

If I may make one more point, good writing and solid organization are
timeless qualities and I can't imagine how a Flash Tutorial could be
written well for one generation but not comprehensible to another. Song
lyrics, definitely. Software instructional materials, I think not.

Uh-oh, I'm on my pedestal again. Hope there's something of value here,
folks; if not, thanks for humoring me.

Marc Hoffman