Subject: Re: FLASH: A word about tutorials
From: Kenneth C. Sherwood
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 05:54:09 GMT

Timothy Palmer-Benson wrote:

> Hi Russell:
> Point taken, but a tutorial is a tutorial and I wonder if they are really
> free. Are they not a flycatcher or a method for book writing?

They are wet fingers in the wind, if you catch my drift.

> After all we
> have Dreamweaver Bible, so perhaps Amazon.com will soon be carrying
> FlashBible! I don't mind, but I do wish some book writers would improve
> their style and be more thoughtful of neophytes.

The literary style on the Web, especially on the *art* side of things, is *not*
on a par with literary style *in books*. You'll get used to it.

> Flash is a very important
> program in web development and anyone who is involved in web programming ( I
> use the term loosely) MUST learn it or ultimately fail.

That's a bit radical.

Things change very quickly in this arena.

> I am just having a
> tough time getting anywhere with it and so are the people who work with me.

Hire a mentor (not a tutor) . . . most everyone who has become adept at Flash
will likely be more than willing to earn some money custom tailoring some
mentoring for you. Call Web Site Design Firms and Advertising Agencies in your
area, and ask to speak to their Flash expert. If he's not an in-house employee,
ask them for contact info for him. Talk with a few, to get a feel for their
skills in *communicating verbally* about intricate concepts.

> In these days of input overload, it is sometimes hard to justify time needed
> to learn a specific way of accomplishing a task.

I believe Flash is worth learning. Someone with Intermediate skills can easily
earn $25/hour "minimum" most anywhere, especially if working from home.

That's over $52 Grand a year. Just for *intermediate* skills.

Ken Sherwood