Subject: Re: FLASH: detecting hits within Flash
From: John Croteau
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:54:37 GMT

Hi Erik,

> I thought I remember a thread on
> detecting hits within flash movies. If there's anyway to detect where
> people are going within a flash movie I'd sure like to know.
You can send a getURL from Flash with an attached parameter. This has
worked in all Flash capable browsers tested so far.
Send a GetURL similar to:

Window: Count

2 way communication with a Flash swffile is limited to FSCommand capable
browsers. But using this technique does not leave any Flash capable
browsers out(at least as far as I know so far).

This technique not only can be used to count pages but also can be used
to select items such as music selections in a Midi Jukebox. It also can
be used in it the HTML method of opening up popup windows. In Flash Menu
systems you can extract the parameter and then use JavaScript without
the FSCommand or JavaScript: protocol limitations of communicating with
plugins (Flash).

By extracting the paramter from the URL you can then use it in JavScript
and CGI for many purposes. At FlashCentral we have several things in
development that will be using this technology.