Subject: FLASH: import graphic / file size
From: mingo
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 02:55:11 GMT

Hi,

Due to the outline font problem (with my chinese software), I have to input
the chinese characters in Photoshop and save them as PNG file before I can
use it in Flash.

When I imported the PNG file into flash, but the effect isn't very clear
and this make the file size rather big too. So I activate the "trace
bitmap" function, to create a vector graphic. I used the below settings as
recommended in the Macromedia Help to get a result that looks most like the
original bitmap.

color Threshold : 100
Minimum Area : 1 pixel
Curve Fits : pixel
Corner Threhold : many corners

After doing that, I deleted the imported graphic symbols in the library. I
realised that the image does appeared clearer now...but it doesn't reduce
the file size much.

For a four frames movie, each frame with a png file (less than 20KB/file),
and a button, the fla file is already 800+KB and the swf is 200KB...(big
right ?)

Is there anyway that I can reduce these further ? My PNG file are just
plain white background with black chinese characters...I even use the lasso
tools to delete the white background after importing to Flash..but this
doesn't seems to decrease the file size !?

Is there anything that I can do to reduce my file size ??

Thanks for your advise.

mingo

*** Welcome ***
~ ah mingo digital garden ~