Subject: Re: FLASH: import graphic / file size
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:30:14 GMT

At 10:49 AM 1/12/99 -0800, you wrote:
> I used the below settings as
>recommended in the Macromedia Help to get a result that looks most like the
>original bitmap.
>
>color Threshold : 100
>Minimum Area : 1 pixel
>Curve Fits : pixel
>Corner Threhold : many corners
>
>After doing that, I deleted the imported graphic symbols in the library. I
>realised that the image does appeared clearer now...but it doesn't reduce
>the file size much.

Other than color Threshold setting, all your settings create the most
complex (and therefore most accurate) vector, and this is why you are
seeing little or no reduction in file size. Play with the settings to end
up with fewer vector points, and that should help. At some point, however,
you'll start losing the shape that distinguishes the text characters.
Adobe Streamline may do a better job at tracing, but it also has a learning
curve (and, of course, costs money). It may be you can get better results
if you do more prep in PhotoShop, such as increasing contrast or even
converting to bitmap mode (that is, black and white) under image>mode, then
try Flash's autotrace again. This failing, I think you're stuck with hand
tracing. I know much of your pages have a hand-drawn style, so this might
not be a bad option at all, just time-consuming. I believe you can map
your hand-drawn vector text characters to a font set, but I don't know how
to do that.

Just out of curiosity, how many text characters are you talking about?

Marc Hoffman