Subject: Re: FLASH: new site
From: Bryan Fritchie
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:44:22 GMT

Original Message:

====================
Byron Canfield writes:

> 686K with no streaming? I don't think so.

I just went and checked it out again, and the page says that it is 358K.  It also has a note saying that it is being "tweaked".

====================
Marc Hoffman

>did you like about this site?

The entire thing was unique, unlike most flash sites, and each area was also unique.  It seems like most sites take a few shapes and sounds, and twist, convert, and spin them around to get their effects.  With the libraries, that does keep the file size smaller, but then sites lose their identities.  Personally, I am tired of all sites looking like Gabbocorp.

The Kimono <sp?> room was totally different.  The development fibbonachi <sp?> law area was different.  Even the slide show was different.  Maybe the actual coding needs to be worked on, but the site itself was nice.

>What I noticed was that it took ages to load over a modem -- over 700k and it
>needed to load the _whole thing_ before showing more than a "loading" sign.
>Very boring, and no reason on earth to load so much content before showing the
>viewer anything of substance. Also, with the fixed window, I could not even get
>the benefit of the browser status bar to see the size of the file I was
I have seen sites do it both ways, with streaming and without.  While I generally prefer the streaming method, some sites simply don't work well in that fashion, or work better after dowloading it.  It did seem like a much quicker download this time, and only took a minute or so.

Byron Canfield writes:

>I noticed, on this one, that even in the new browser instance, the movie
>did not go all the way to the edges (not "exactfit"),

I didn't notice the "exact fit" deal.