Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash in Business
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 00:34:29 GMT

>> So, you have both versions on line for now and let the audience decide.
>
>I like the up front choice/commitment home page that you use.
>
>> What else can you do? Have trust in them. They're greedy and want the
>> best stuff. They'll get the idea that they need to do this to get that, and
>> do so. It's always worked throughout history.

I saw what I think is the coolest way to do it today (off one of the links
off mm's vector zone site that Charlene Reese posted - thanks!!). Anyway,
the flash movie loads directly with a nice link at the bottom that says
'nothing happening? - click here' - that link takes the user to the
'choices' page which offers 'already have the plug-in' (msie on a mac, huh
;), 'download the plug-in' (we really recommend it), and 'ok ok so be
stubborn here's a static version'. I liked this as if you have the plug-in
and it's working fine, there's no need to see the 'choice' page at all and
if you don't, it's really obvious one is 'missing something'. sort of two
chances to sell them on spending the 5 min. to download :), but still an
option if they won't. 'sides this makes almost all the browser detection
script unnecessary, and there's very little chance it'll break. i believe
i'll do it this way from now on :)

laura mollett